Friday, March 20, 2015

Clothing

My big brother has a Disturbed hoodie, and I love it. It's pretty much my favorite, so even though it is his I end up wearing it usually. It is warm, black, says Disturbed across the back and on the front has this face on it:
So pretty much it's the coolest.
Anyway. The other day I wore it to the grocery store. When I go to the grocery store I try to smile and be friendly and happy, and usually people respond in the same way to me. This day people would typically just look really confused at first, though, and it seemed really strange to me because I was being normal.
Later that evening I went to the store again, this time wearing a shirt that I received at a church camp. This is a lovely purple color and has a scripture written across the back. This time people were much more friendly in return, and I made the connection.
Clothing really does make an impact on how people view you. If people see you wearing super cool yet slightly creepy rock band merchandise they will probably judge you as being an angry teenager. If you're wearing a church t-shirt they will probably judge you as being a cheery, sweet individual. The way you present yourself speaks about who you are.
Now, I am not going to stop wearing my brother's sweater. I really do not care if people think I am weird because of it, and I like it. But I am going to be aware of how that makes a difference, and so should you. Wear what makes you happy, but embrace the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment