Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Improving Ourselves

Yesterday while driving home from Seminary (or rather, being driven), I was praying, because I really wanted to know what I could do to help some people of my acquaintance who are having a bad time and have fallen into some not desirable habits. When I looked up after finishing, I saw a couple of big lights on a hill in front of us. I immediately thought of Matthew 5:14-16, which is,
"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Sometimes, all we have to do is improve ourselves without worrying about what others are busy doing. It can be really hard sometimes not to try to improve other people, especially when we care for them. But we must look first to ourselves, or, as Mohandas Gandhi supposedly said, we must "be the change [we] wish to see in the world."



I found this image on Pinterest, and because I liked it, I borrowed it. I don't know who made it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Megan! I'm feeling the same way. I want to fix other's who are not making good choices but that is taking away their free agency. You are wise beyond your years sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to receive a lot of inspiration while being driven home from Seminary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's because Seminary is the cat's meow. :P

    ReplyDelete