Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My Garden, Part 6

My corn is doing well. It is keeping up with the beans, and is still green and alive. That's about all it has to do yet.

My beans are growing tall, and each plant has little white flowers budding. I didn't do very thorough research before starting to grow this kind of bean, because it somehow slipped my mind. Anyway, now I did some more research because I was concerned about the fact that they were flowering already, and I found out that they are a bush bean variety, that takes about three months to maturity. This means that my beans will be ready before everything else in my garden, and that I don't need to find a way for my beans to climb. These are very useful things to know.
Since I planted on May 19th, the beans should be grown sometime next month.

My pumpkins are also growing very well. They are much bigger than I anticipated, and are growing rapidly. They pretty much take up my whole box, in addition to growing our onto the lawn. I now know that I was mistaken about having female flowers last post, because the female flowers really are coming out now.
The problem I have, though, is not knowing if any of the flowers are being pollinated. I may have to try hand-pollinating, because at least one has shriveled up and died, due to not being pollinated.



Some things I have been doing for my garden:
Journaling about it
Naming each plant individually or as a group
Having concerts for it
Watering as needed
Weeding as needed
Watching out for slugs and other insects

2 comments:

  1. Your personalized involvment and updated narratives are awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated!
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoy these posts. :)

    ReplyDelete