Monday, October 28, 2013

Mozart's Requiem

Last Saturday I spent about an hour listening to Mozart's Requiem. I didn't do anything else at the same time, I just closed my eyes and really listened.
This post is about my feelings as I listened. I do not know the lyrics, so these feelings aren't based on what the song actually says. It is based solely on the feelings I had as I remembered the death of my people, and listened to this funeral mass, combined with the knowledge I have of the afterlife.
It amazes me how Mozart expressed death so well.
The initial numbness and inability to understand that a loved one is dead.The feeling as you look at the body of a loved one, and it just starts to sink in that you won't ever see them again in this life. Their warm hug, their funny jokes, the comfort they give.
The feeling of how unfair this is, of how this might as well be forever. How barren life will be without them.
The uncertainty of what happens after death. The wrenching pain of imagining never being with them again.
Then, the feeling of peace when you start to really remember the promise of eternal life. How they are free from the struggles and turmoils of mortal life.
The hope of being with them again.
The plea to join them again. The plea to be forgiven for mortal inadequacies, and to be restored to divine life.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed Megan! I felt your words as I read them. Very powerful! I always walk away with something when reading your posts.
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a sensitive topic that I've been avoiding for a while, so I'm particularly glad to hear from you. :)

    ReplyDelete