Sunday, May 18, 2014

My Anger Problem

The past few days have been really bad. Not because anything particularly bad has happened to me. I made them bad myself.

It started with me going to help one of my relatives make soup, which is normally a really fun thing. But on this day, everything my relative said got on my nerves. At first I was able to keep it in really well, and felt very triumphant about this. Like, "Yeah, this is fantastic. Take that, Satan." Then she said something slightly derogatory about another one of my family members, and suddenly all my anger came pouring out. This hurt her a lot.

Then I went home, where some of my friends are staying at the time. They said something rude about one of my cousins, and I started going off on them, too. At this point I was sensible enough to go do some chores. Wonderful choice, really.

But it didn't stop that day. I was shopping with two of my relatives, and they asked a question that irritated me slightly, so I spoke to them harshly. Just a little, but enough to make me feel bad.

There were numerous more incidents, but as I don't think you are interested in hearing about all of my shortcomings, I'm stopping there. For clarification, incidents like this aren't uncommon. However, usually it stays within my closest family circle, and even there it has mostly subsided in the last few months.

I can think of multiple reasons why I might be so short lately, but none of them justify this response. All I can do is try to change, and rely on my Savior.

"Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."
-How Firm A Foundation 

(Also, following Treebeard's sage advice works: "Don't be hasty.")

No comments:

Post a Comment