Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Letters To My Future Family

I write letters to my future family about my schooling, particularly when I get really frustrated and just want to stop. When I can't seem to focus. When I think there isn't really any point in what I am doing. When I am doing badly.
This helps me focus more on the long-term perspective, and how going through all of the effort to actually do my work will help me in becoming who I want to be and doing what I want to do.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to share a letter with you, because they are for my family. But it will help illustrate what I mean, so I guess I will. I just went and looked through some of my homework and found this at the end of one of my weekly brief debates, when I had spent about five hours just in research on the relationship between the United States and Iran:
"Dear future family, I am doing this for you.
Yes, I do feel an obligation to my country to keep informed on current events, and yes, I do want to better myself. But just now when I was about to allow myself to be distracted I remembered a couple of things.
I remembered how I want to be able to teach my children not only about historical events like these affairs in Iran, but research skills. I want to be able to inspire you to better ourselves through studying. I don’t want you to look at mother and say that if she didn’t, neither do you.
Secondly, I remembered how I want my dearest friend in the world to be able to have intelligent conversation with his partner. I don't want him to have a silly wife who doesn't know anything about either academic subjects or how to appropriately be a respectable human being.
So thank you for inspiring me. <3"


4 comments:

  1. That is... Amazing, Megan. What a wonderful idea. :D
    You're going to be such a marvelous mother. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing, Megan! One of the reasons I care about my education is because I never want to have one of my children ask me to help them with their homework, and have to tell them that I can't, I don't know how.

    ReplyDelete