Sunday, July 20, 2014

Learning From Debate Club

I am attempting to organize a debate club as a continuation of my class. Actually, I suppose it's all organized and ready to go. I'm just having a problem getting people to attend.
Right now I have one consistent attendee. Four others have shown up in varying degrees of consistency.
So I have been fairly upset about the whole situation, because it seems like whenever I try to do things like this with people they do not care at all after a few days.
I was talking to my mentor about this, and he asked, "Do you think anything valuable has come out of the experience, or are you mostly just bummed that it hasn't gone well?"
It has helped me. Situations come up in life all the time where we have to do good things, even if other people aren't as engaged as we are. If I have to deal with that problem throughout life anyway, I might as well start with something fairly insignificant, like this group. Yeah, it hurts me when people choose to stop being involved. But that's okay. I am learning how to cope with is.

This is something that is a huge thing to work on. I have a long way to go. But at least I've started.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you to see the lesson in this ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You taught me a lot about how to see lessons in things while I was in your Sunday School. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete