Monday, August 4, 2014

My Stance on Gay Marriage


Gay marriage. Hearing that phrase makes me, personally, uncomfortable, just because whenever people start talking about it they usually wind up arguing heatedly.
I don't expect to change anybody's mind with this post, and it is mostly just for myself. But I figured I might as well share. Here are some questions I had about this issue, and answers that I found:
Question 1.
Why is this such a big deal?
I honestly can't figure out why. Why does part of society refuses to let the other part do get married? Why will the other part not be satisfied with civil unions, which are pretty much the same?
Question 2.
Do I think same sex marriage is morally right?
No. It isn't. God has said so, and I fully agree.
Question 3.
Do my own morals have to determine everybody else's lives?
No. People must make their own choices and decide on their own morals. It's a basic part of life. It is why we were sent here, actually. And if those choices don't infringe on anybody else's rights, it is not an issue that the government should forbid.
Question 5.
Is same sex marriage going to change anybody's lives materially?
Not really. Marriage is just an official recognition of a relationship. Anybody who is going to get married will be in a relationship, anyway. So this won't change anything except a name.
Question 6.
Is this going to harm the institution of the family?
Hmm. Does divorce harm the institution of the family? Yes. But do people still get divorced without good reason all the time? Yes. So even though this does redefine marriage, it is no worse than other things that are done all the time.
Honestly, a family should be defined by love and loyalty. If you are concerned about your children or whatever thinking that same sex marriage is a morally right thing, just teach them correct principles and let them decide.
Do I support the legalization of same sex marriage? Why?
Yes. I have thought this through, and I do not see any reason why two adults can't be recognized as married by the government. This might complicate things with religion, but as a civil matter there really isn't any reason to oppose this.

Anyway, that's what I think. Feel free to comment. (:

7 comments:

  1. Megan, I love your philosophy and out look of life. You are so careful and your wording is so intentional. Thank you for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Megan! I'm glad you shared your insights. :) I do have a few questions I'm wondering about, and was hoping you could help me out.

    The Family Proclamation has stated that marriage is between a man and a woman. It has also stated that marriage is a divine gift from God, and one of the first gifts from him, along with life. In a stately perspective, it appears to be simply a contract that binds the user to another until death(or divorce), but in a spiritual light it's an oath that binds one to another for eternity. What are your thoughts on that?

    Also, about your stance on the legalization of same sex marriage. Don't get me wrong, I completely respect your opinion, but it seems like only one side can win if same-sex marriage is legalized. The same goes for if same-sex marriage legalization fails. Do you think it would work out if the legalization was given to the states? The way I see it, this would allow the people to decide what is right and wrong, and allow the populace to choose. This way, both parties can get what they want, which is what they believe is right. What are your thoughts on this concept?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sister Gaertner!
    Jared, thank you so much for your questions. I love you. ^_^
    I completely believe that marriage is sacred. There is no way that same sex marriages should be performed in temples, because that would completely violate the divinity of the ordinance. But it isn't the government's job to care about religious beliefs. The state just deals with things on the earth, and organizes things in a temporal way. Just a mortal contract of two imperfect beings.

    I think legalization of same sex marriages should definitely be given to the states.You described why really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,
    Love your description,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan!
    So I read this blog post a few months ago, and something felt off, even though all your points seem logical. It's taken me a while to figure out why. So here's my response.
    You said. ".......if those choices don't infringe on anybody else's rights, it is not an issue that the government should forbid."
    The problem is, gay marriage DOES infringe on a person's right. Namely the children that are adopted into that home. Marriage is much more than just an official recognition of a relationship and the change of a name.
    This excerpt is from an article written by a woman who was raised by gay parents. What she has to say is very important.
    "There is no difference between the value and worth of heterosexual and homosexual persons. We all deserve equal protection and opportunity in academe, housing, employment, and medical care, because we are all humans created in the image of God.

    However, when it comes to procreation and child-rearing, same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples are wholly unequal and should be treated differently for the sake of the children.

    When two adults who cannot procreate want to raise children together, where do those babies come from? Each child is conceived by a mother and a father to whom that child has a natural right. When a child is placed in a same-sex-headed household, she will miss out on at least one critical parental relationship and a vital dual-gender influence. The nature of the adults’ union guarantees this. Whether by adoption, divorce, or third-party reproduction, the adults in this scenario satisfy their heart’s desires, while the child bears the most significant cost: missing out on one or more of her biological parents.

    Making policy that intentionally deprives children of their fundamental rights is something that we should not endorse, incentivize, or promote."

    To read this full article go to this link: http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/02/14370/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, I see where you're coming from here. I also really appreciate your comment. Thank you. :)
    But I feel like the real assault on children is leaving them in state care where they go from foster home to foster home suffering the psychological damage associated with not having a loving family and home. Homosexual couples are often some of the most loving people I know. Living with parents who actually care about you want want you desperately is much better than living either with abusive parents or people who just care for you temporarily. My family is adopting two kids right now, and my heart breaks to think of those who don't have that opportunity. Gay couples provide more kids with homes. That is the important part.
    Again, thank you for your thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete