Thursday, August 27, 2015

Why People Like Twilight

Confession time: this summer I read all four Twilight books. I do not really know if I liked them or not. Mostly I was pretty annoyed at everything happening, but they were pretty fun to read I guess. Anyway.

I've been thinking a lot trying to find value in the story even with all the issues I have with it. The romances were pretty messed up, morals and values didn't really play that big a part, and I prefer my vampires to be bloodsucking demons rather than sparkly nice people. I think I figured out one reason why people like this book series, though.

It's because Bella Swan is completely ordinary. There is nothing particularly special about her. She is pretty boring. She lies to her father. She is completely obsessed with this random dude she just met in high school who spent quite a long while telling her how he wants to eat her, which displays quite a lack of sense. She's basically a good person, but doesn't stand out for any particular good quality.

But Edward and Jacob love her anyway, in their own ways.

So many people don't feel loved. They don't feel special. They feel pretty much like the Bella Swan of their own lives, just hoping that maybe there is something that makes them desirable and worth loving.

You can be the hero of your own life. You don't have to rely on anybody else to be important and to be desirable. Really. Certainly not a slightly abusive  100-something year old vampire. Love yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment