Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Garden, Part Four

A day or so after my last post on my garden, my sister's dog came through and ran around in my garden, and then dug up one of my pumpkins. At least, that's what I'm guessing from the big dog prints and the hole that was dug around the area my pumpkin was in, and the fact that my pumpkin wasn't even in my garden box anymore.

I replanted my pumpkin, and it seems to be doing pretty well now. The only thing that seems to be bothering my garden is that it has been raining off and on for the last couple of weeks. I haven't actually seen the sun come out for two weeks. This is a problem, because everything that I'm growing likes to be fairly dry and warm, which it can't be given the current weather.

Another problem that the rains brings is slugs. The slugs absolutely love the wet conditions, and they are coming out in full force. One climbed up the wall into my garden and started eating on one of my pumpkins. I am now looking for solutions to slugs, that keep them away but don't hurt them, because I don't like hurting things. If you have any ideas, please let me know. So far, I am thinking about using beer or corn meal, but those would kill the slugs.

So, my garden is not doing as well as I had hoped. The corn and pumpkins are both yellow, my beans have not even started to grow, and it's all too wet. Hopefully things will get better soon.

2 comments:

  1. Megan, the first thing I thouhgt of upon hearing your delima was relocating them and/or creating a habitat away from your garden, making the garden less inviting for them and the habitat you create more of an attractant to draw them away. I later stumbled upon this link, http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7427.html, ironically expanding on my original thought! And if you scroll down to the 'Management' paragraph and the paragraph below it, maybe it will inspire an idea for you?! Good luck! These little setbacks are just that! You'll find a solution because of your determination and love for your garden! Keep us updated! :-)
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for these tips! I really appreciate it. :)

    ReplyDelete