Sunday, May 19, 2013

My Garden, Part Three

Good morning!
I hope everybody had a lovely Mother's Day.

About three weeks ago, I filled my box with dirt, mowed grass, and compost. Then, I pleanted my corn and my pumpkins.

A few things might have gone wrong, and we'll see how it goes.
First, my pumpkins stayed in their starting containe for way too long, and started to grow together. Two of them were so intertwined that we had to leave them together, and the third we separated. I'm concerned that the roots won't be resilient enough to continue growing after any teards that may have happened, and that the two might be too close together.

Second, there was only one layer of mowed grass/compost mixture and it made the bottom layer. When the roots reach down that far, I'm not sure if it will be good enough to allow the roots to have a firm grip. I don't know, though, as this is just an idea that popped into my head as I was thinking about my garden.

Third, I believe I planted the corn too closely. I don't know about this either, but it's pretty close.



Altogether, I was just having one of those days when my brain doesn't work well enough to think anything through. Hopefully it goes well. So far, my pumpkins are looking healthier than they were before I planted them, and the corn is growing nicely.


1 comment:

  1. Today, about an hour after this post, I also planted calypso beans around the corn.

    ReplyDelete