Monday, February 9, 2015

Education

As I am sure you all have noticed, the word 'school' does not evoke a positive image in the minds of most students. I do know youth who really enjoy school and are academic, but even they sometimes think of it as a burden. Schools are supposed to be institutions where people can go to learn and better themselves. Instead schools have largely become places for people to go learn how to fit in and follow instructions exactly in order to get a mark of acceptance. They go to be approved of by society. They go because that's what people do.
There are about seven billion people in this world, according to Google. That is a huge number. Each of those seven billion people has a soul. Each of them has something to contribute, something that only they can do. Each of them are intricately connected to each other, and the choices they make impact others in so many ways. Many of them are getting no education whatsoever, and many of those who do have the opportunity to get an education are completely wasting it.
I realize that there are many things wrong with our schooling system. Most schooling compartmentalizes subjects rather than allowing connections, discourages deviance from accepted views, and generally works against the flow of the human mind. An institution with one way to produce is better equipped for machinery than for humanity.
But we can get past these struggles. Schooling should nurture you soul and help you be a light in the world, but it isn't going to without some effort on your part. Your education is up to you. Only you can know yourself well enough to become truly great through the knowledge you gain. Don't be a passive student. Be an active learner.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You. This gave me a new perspective on school. I feel like I try in school to learn new things and make connections, but after this I realized I am not an active learner and I should try harder to participate more and take all that I can from learning opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this helped! It sounds like you have such a great perspective on school and life, and I wish you the best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete