Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Lessons

Last week I started teaching piano to a little boy from church. Our first lesson went really well, and so did today's. The difference is that last week I actually took time to be dressed neatly, prepare a lesson, gather together my books, and spend a lot of time beforehand thinking about how best to serve this child.
Today I was generally disorganized, hadn't prepared a lesson, and didn't even remember we were supposed to have a lesson until my student came knocking on my door.
During the lesson I stumbled over my words and was generally absentminded. I was so absentminded, in fact, that I labelled my fingers using a Sharpie. Usually I am able to avoid being such a bad example for children, but I must confess that I now have semi-permanent numbers on each of my fingers. Hopefully my clarification afterward of that being a really bad idea helps him.
Somehow, everything went really well, even though it probably shouldn't have. My student had fun. I learned a lot. I think he learned something.

I don't really think there's much of a point to this post. Mostly it is just a reflection on some of the things I need to work on, such as being less spacey (and remembering to use my planners and SARs.)

2 comments:

  1. I think that establishing a friendship with your student might help him. He will maybe see you as a human being and someone he can trust when he has days that are off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's working. The first day I started by just getting to know him a little better and making sure he is comfortable with me. :)

    ReplyDelete